Friday, September 5, 2008

Intro post (and quality over quantity)

Most of you know me from either the Freestyle Street Basketball message boards, or in-game with my player IDs.

So here is where I discuss some of my feelings on current FSSBP (Freestyle Street Basketball Philippines) trends, playing styles, tactics (or lack thereof), and generally any other thing.

This is NOT a personal blog - I have Mutual Liquid Nirvana 2.0 for that.

So, with this being my maiden post, I shall begin by saying one thing I've always loved to say (to Shooting Guards):

It's not the quantity of your shots that ultimately count; it's the quality of your shots that matter.

If you start off a game on fire, making open shots and difficult shots with ease, the law of averages will get to you - causing you to become a bricklayer come crunch time, when your shooting is most needed. Now if you're up by a lot, that's good - but what if the game's close and every possession matters?

The point is: the thought of your good stats should always be tempered with the thought that you will miss. This isn't aimed to scare you into not shooting, it's to get you to take the right shot at the right place at the right time.

Anyway, if you're in a bad shooting game, don't take it upon yourself to charge headfirst into the defense and force shots up and praying one will go in. The best way to deal with a bad shooting night is to keep playing your game and continue to shoot when you're open.

Of course, come good game or bad, you should always have defense as the first thing on your minds, right?

Anyway, that's it for my first post. Next up, the most hated team play in FSSBP: Screens.

No comments: